Liffey Ferry No. 11 offers a new (and old!) way to travel in Dublin
Dublin’s Liffey Ferry No. 11 was once a common sight on the River Liffey, taking passengers across the river until it was decommissioned in 1984 (when the East Link Bridge opened). The service started in 1665, when it was given a Royal Charter by King Charles II — and went on to last more than 300 years.
And now…it’s back.
No 11 Ferry route
Now refurbished, the number 11 ferry route is taking the people of Dublin between three points:
the MV Cill Airne at North Wall Quay
Sir John Rogerson’s Quay
the 3 Arena
Services restarted on 11th February 2019. and the ferry will have capacity for 18 passengers at a time. It costs €2 for each 3 minute journey (point to point).
In terms of how the service integrates with other public transport in Dublin,
the MV Cill Airne is a 5 minute walk from Spencer Dock Luas stop
the 3 Arena is a 5 minute walk away from The Point Luas stop
Sir John Rogerson’s Quay is a 10-15 minute walk from Grand Canal Dock or Pearse Station.
We’ll be looking at ways that we can integrate these new ferry connections onto our Dublin rail map over the coming weeks.
The Ferry is operated by the Irish Nautical Trust and is also used as a teaching / training platform to educate and train young people from the local area in a wide range of maritime skills. All proceeds from passengers' fares are used to help fund the return of the new maritime training programme.